Hi, we’re Ryan & Selena Frederick. Thank you for visiting our blog!
We started this blog to help us process through marriage’s trials as well as celebrate it’s joys. We are in our 11th year of marriage and we’ve learned a ton about what works and what doesn’t. We hope that as we share openly it will help you grow and cultivate a truly Christ-centered marriage.
We aren’t psychologists, counselors, therapists, or academics. We’re just a guy and a girl who are learning how to build a marriage that is centered on Christ. The knowledge and advice we offer here is purely editorial and journalistic. If you’d like to inquire about speaking engagements, please click here.
Interesting and semi-interesting facts about us:
- We are both entrepreneurs, artists, high school sweethearts and UW Huskies (go Dawgs!).
- It’s spelled “Frederick“. Not Fredrick, Fredricks, or Frederickson; though all are very nice spelling options.
- Ryan is an avid proponent of the Oxford Comma (as you’ll see in his writing). Selena is indifferent.
- Selena loves horses and is a professional equestrian photographer (though she does typical photographer-ish shoots as well).
- We lived in Zurich, Switzerland for a time and it nearly killed one of us (literally)
- We have one daughter, Adelaide Grace Rae. If there was a cute meter she would blow it up.
- We have two dogs that we love dearly: an Australian Shepherd named Macy and a Jack Russell Terrier named Bentley. People often think we’re terribly materialistic when we introduce them at the same time though we just liked the names.
- Ryan plays a 2002 Wine Red Gibson Les Paul Custom named after his grandma Bessy.
- Selena is a YoungLife leader and loves every second of it.
- In a post-apocalyptic world, Ryan would seek a career as a MadMax style bicycle courier and Selena would work as a fisherwoman (relax, we’re joking)
What to expect on this blog
Everything we write here stems from our core values. In short, our relationship with Jesus Christ and our faith in Him governs everything we write. We wouldn’t be married if it wasn’t for the grace of Jesus and the power of God in our lives. We literally owe Him everything.
You can expect us to post 3-5 times per week on various marriage topics like communication, priorities, love, sex, and accountability. Everything we share is from our experiences, reading, and advice given to us by others.
What’s with the name?
So, why did we choose the name “Fierce Marriage”? Read all about it here.
Get in touch
More About Ryan
Born and raised in Tacoma, WA, Ryan graduated from the University of Washington with a bachelors degree in Business Management and Marketing. He started his career in commercial construction and worked for 4 years at the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) as a Construction Project Manager and Resource Conservation Manager or an “RCM” (wow, that’s a mouthful).
In 2009, he quit his job in state government and took a risk. He and Selena moved to sunny Palm Desert, CA to start a solar design & installations company. Though the business never sold a dime, Ryan’s “side gig” as a web developer blossomed into a full blown marketing agency known simply as “emg“.
In 2011, Ryan started his second venture, Crux Watches, and quickly realized a new passion in social enterprise.
Ryan also serves as a worship leader and council member at Desert Foursquare Church where he and Selena were a part of the original planting team in mid 2011. Ryan has served as a church worship leader in various capacities for over 10 years.
- Being outside – hiking, running, trail running, bicycling
- Travelling with Selena – anywhere, anytime
- Authors: C.S. Lewis, Tim Keller, J.R.R. Tolkien, David Platt
- Books: The Bible, A Grief Observed, The Problem with Pain, King’s Cross
Connect with Ryan:
More About Selena
Selena was born & raised in Puyallup, WA. She graduated from the University of Washington with a bachelor’s degree in Arts, Media, and Culture and a minor in education. She started her career as a Regional Business Development Coordinator for a national construction testing & inspection firm.
In 2008, Selena picked up her first “real” camera, a Nikon D90, and never looked back. After quitting her day job, Selena launched Cheval Photos, thus marking the beginning of her journey as a professional photographer.
Today, Selena specializes in shooting equestrian events as well as weddings, products, and portraits. As an equestrian journalist, Selena has been published internationally both as a photographer and an editorial writer.
Each year, Selena travels to world class events like the Rolex Kentucky 3-Day Event, the Winter Equestrian Festival (WEF), and Spruce Meadows.
Selena volunteers as a YoungLife leader at Palm Desert High School where she mentors girls in a one-on-one capacity and in small groups.
- Horses – riding, grooming, competing, and anything else you do around horses
- Travelling with Ryan – anywhere, anytime
- Authors: Jane Austen, Tim Keller, Francis Chan
- Books: The Bible, Pride and Prejudice, King’s Cross