This episode can be summarized with one word: boundaries. As a married couple bound by covenant, you are charged with upholding your commitment with diligence and wisdom. Sometimes in-laws aren’t on board with that vision, especially if they don’t understand the complete dynamics of your marriage or season in life. This can create stressful, unenjoyable relationships.
In this episode, we propose 5 principles we believe to be crucial for happy, health in-law relationships. Along the way, we share tangible ways to make steps in the right direction… especially if you’re experiencing difficulty in this area.
Feel free to review the [brief] show notes below or listen to the latest episode of The Fierce Marriage Podcast as you have the time!
Listen to this week’s podcast:
Listen below, or better yet, choose a button above to subscribe on your device!
The big idea: in-laws should advocate for our marriage instead of for only their child.
There may be relationship problems and frustrations, but if they’re not “the big issue” above, they can be worked out with grace and patience.
5 Principles for Healthier, Happier Relationships with In-Laws:
- Have grace: Remember, they need grace, they’re not perfect… just like you.
- Understand what “leave and cleave” means. Matthew 19:4 (Jesus speaking)
- Establish boundaries. Communicate clearly to them what you expect from them. (“We want you to advocate for our marriage.” “Respect our marriage.” Etc…)
- Ask clearly for help when you need it, and communicate expectations.
- Have perspective about in-law relationships: do what works for you, and don’t compare to others or put too much weight in cultural context.
Remember that Jesus is working in you and through you to perpetuate the gospel in those relationships.
Today’s Couples Challenge:
- Go through the 5 above principles for healthy in-law relationships.
- Identify any potential in-law pain points.
- Create a plan for a biblical way forward that protects your marriage and honors relationships.
Mentioned in the Show:
- Learn more about The 31-Day Pursuit Challenge, our couple’s devotional.
- Ask any question, leave us a voicemail, or write a letter to your spouse!
Please SUBSCRIBE, RATE, and REVIEW this podcast on your app of choice. It takes 30-60 seconds, and it helps get the word out about gospel-centered marriage. Thank you!
Do you have a question?
If you have a question, ask! Anything goes. Click the appropriate button below to submit a question or story; we’ll take care of the rest.
Leave us a voicemail
Call: (971) 333-1120
Note: by dialing the above phone number and leaving a voicemail, you are granting us permission to include your voice in our podcast.
Feel free to write any questions in the comments below. We just might do an episode on it. :)