The holidays are an incredible time to celebrate together with family. It can also be a very hectic, pressure-filled time for many. How can we maintain perspective (and our sanity) and not get swept away by consumerism? The answer? Jesus.
In this episode, we discuss how to be consumed by God instead consumerism this holiday season. Feel free to review the [brief] show notes below or listen to the latest episode of The Fierce Marriage Podcast as you have the time!
Listen to this week’s podcast:
Listen below, or better yet, choose a button above to subscribe on your device!
The big idea: it’s easy to lose sight of the gospel during the holidays, but we must fix our eyes on him or risk putting our joy and hope in things/people in ways that cannot satisfy.
Deuteronomy 4:9, 23-24Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children’s children—
Take care, lest you forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make a carved image, the form of anything that the LORD your God has forbidden you. For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.
- It can be very easy to forget all the ways that God has provided for us throughout the year, just like the Israelites (see Exodus 32).
- These passages remind us not to turn God’s provision into an idol.
- If you’ve ever felt pressure, guilt, remorse, or regret because of a gift you’ve either given, received, not given, or not received, this is for you.
- Caveat: buying gifts isn’t bad inherently. It becomes harmful when we expect things we purchase to bring the joy that only God can give.
5 Ways to Not Lose Your Mind During the Holidays
- Guard your heart.
- Remember what God has done (in your life, your heart, your marriage).
- Make those things known to your children.
- Remember the FULL message and weight of the gospel (God is utterly perfect and we are hopelessly sinful… but, Jesus!)
- Put your full weight in the gospel. Examine and evaluate the fruit of your belief in the gospel
Today’s Couples Challenge:
Read Deuteronomy 4 and Exodus 32.
Discuss the following questions:
- How can you intentionally “guard our souls” during the holiday season? How can you remind each other of God’s purpose (his glory, your delight in him)?
- How have you seen Christ work in your life/marriage? What “slavery” has God brought you out of in your marriage? In other words, what has God done in your past that you can consciously remember?
- If you have kids, how can you point them to Jesus during the holidays?
- How can you remind yourselves of the gospel?
- How can you better rest in the gospel this year? How can you not act in a heart orientation that is corrupt, but instead secure in Christ? What fruit of your belief in the gospel is showing or can show during this season?
Mentioned in the Show:
Please SUBSCRIBE, RATE, and REVIEW this podcast on your app of choice. It takes 30-60 seconds, and it helps get the word out about gospel-centered marriage. Thank you!
Question or comment?
If you have a question, ask! Anything goes. Click the appropriate button below to submit a question or story; we’ll take care of the rest.
Leave us a voicemail
Call: (971) 333-1120
Note: by dialing the above phone number and leaving a voicemail, you are granting us permission to include your voice in our podcast.
Feel free to write any questions in the comments below. We just might do an episode on it. :)
We’d love your help!
If our ministry has helped you, we’d be honored if you’d pray about partnering with us. Those who do can expect unique interactions, behind-the-scenes access, and random benefits like freebies, discount codes, and exclusive content. More than anything, you become a tangible part of our mission of pointing couples to Christ and commissioning marriages for the gospel. Become a partner today.