Every couple deals with money issues at some point in their marriage. It’s continually a source of stress and a trigger for arguments. Almost every problem around money stems from a lack of margin in every area of life. We tend to live our lives right to the edges, working long hours, spending too much, and struggling to find any semblance of peace in the process. Many (including us) have bought the subtle lie that money can somehow make everything better. So we work harder, strive more, and seek joy where it can’t be found. Even if we do manage to get more money, we soon realize that it’s not the savior we thought it would be. This inevitably puts stress on your relationship and can create division in your marriage.
What’s the fix? We explored exactly that in today’s podcast. Listen in as we share honestly about some struggles we’ve had and take a deep look at Hebrews 13:5 and its surrounding context to discern God’s desire for how we view and use money in our lives.
Feel free to review the show notes below or listen to the latest episode of The Fierce Marriage Podcast whenever you have the time!
Listen to this week’s podcast:
Listen below, or better yet, choose a button above to subscribe on your device!
Mentioned in Today’s Show:
- Related post: Managing Financial Stress in Your Marriage
- Learn more about The 31-Day Pursuit Challenge, our couple’s devotional.
- Ask any question, leave us a voicemail, or write a letter to your spouse!
- Discussion: Money issues continue to plague couples. Why?
- Many think their problems can be fixed with more money… but that’s not the case.
- We reviewed Hebrews 13:5:
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- The context of Hebrews: It’s a book written to encourage and remind Christians of the supremacy and sufficiency of Christ.
- Chapter 13 is all about “Sacrifices Pleasing to God.” This is all in the context of Christ’s sufficient work on the cross.
- Loving money is like “taking another lover” when God has made a covenant promise to us.
- Trusting money instead of God is to betray his love.
- Couple’s Challenge (see below)
- We discussed The 31-Day Pursuit
- Rapid Fire Q&A
- Weekly Letter Reading
Today’s Couples Challenge:
- Pray together for open hearts regarding your finances.
- Read through Hebrews 13, pay close attention to the context surrounding verse 5.
- Discuss areas of your marriage and how they may be indicating “love of money”.
- Discuss how love can be a tool in your lives for God’s glory.
Please SUBSCRIBE, RATE, and REVIEW this podcast on your app of choice. It takes 30-60 seconds, and it helps get the word out about gospel-centered marriage. Thank you!
Do you have a question?
If you have a question, ask! Anything goes. Click the appropriate button below to submit a question or story; we’ll take care of the rest.
Leave us a voicemail
Call: (971) 333-1120
Note: by dialing the above phone number and leaving a voicemail, you are granting us permission to include your voice in our podcast.
Feel free to write any questions in the comments below. We just might do an episode on it. :)
We’d love your help!
If our ministry has helped you, we’d be honored if you’d pray about partnering with us. Those who do can expect unique interactions, behind-the-scenes access, and random benefits like freebies, discount codes, and exclusive content. More than anything, you become a tangible part of our mission of pointing couples to Christ and commissioning marriages for the gospel. Become a partner today.