If left unchecked, your social media life can create problems in your marriage. The advent of social media sites has created much conversation about the privacy of users’ information. The result: each has increased user control over who can see each update, image, interaction, and like. In general, it’s a great improvement but for married couples, it raises an important question of transparency and accountability about your “social media life”.
In today’s podcast, we discuss Proverbs 4 and its various implications for how we wisely conduct ourselves online for the good of our marriages. Listen below!
Listen to this week’s podcast:
Listen below, or better yet, choose a button above to subscribe on your device!
Mentioned in Today’s Show:
- The Phone Drop Test (blog post)
- Is your Facebook Life a Wedge in Your Marriage? (blog post)
- Learn more about The 31-Day Pursuit Challenge, our couple’s devotional.
- Ask any question, leave us a voicemail, or write a letter to your spouse!
Communication: Five Habits for Hearing and Being Heard
- Discussion: What should I do when I feel like my spouse misuses social media (namely, Facebook)?
- We reviewed Proverbs 4:23: “Keep your heart with all diligence…”
- Solomon wrote it. He had access to anything he wanted… instantly. Kind of like we do on the internet today.
- We looked at the larger context of Proverbs 4.
- Hear wisdom, keep it close, and “here’s how to apply it”
- How do we apply wisdom to social media?
- “Open windows, open doors, lights fully turned on.”
- No hidden accounts or passwords.
- Be transparent with each other.
- Talk about questionable interactions.
- Being very mindful of posted imagery (by you and others).
- Don’t PM/DM/Message anyone of the opposite gender (unless in a group context)
- Don’t vent anger or frustration on social media at the expense of your spouse; it’s always unproductive.
- Bottom line: Wisdom compels us to guard our hearts against paths that lead to harm.
- Couple’s Challenge (see below)
- We discussed The 31-Day Pursuit
- Rapid Fire Q&A
- Weekly Letter Reading
Today’s Couples Challenge:
- Discuss this podcast (both listen to it)
- Read through Proverbs 4 together and find one or two verses that jump out to you.
- Take a personal inventory for hidden areas in your life/marriage that go against wisdom.
- Make a plan to discuss hidden areas before they take root.
- Create a plan for healthy interaction with others and each other on social media.
Please SUBSCRIBE, RATE, and REVIEW this podcast on your app of choice. It takes 30-60 seconds, and it helps get the word out about gospel-centered marriage. Thank you!
Do you have a question?
If you have a question, ask! Anything goes. Click the appropriate button below to submit a question or story; we’ll take care of the rest.
Leave us a voicemail
Call: (971) 333-1120
Note: by dialing the above phone number and leaving a voicemail, you are granting us permission to include your voice in our podcast.
Feel free to write any questions in the comments below. We just might do an episode on it. :)