Communication is not just about saying and hearing words—it’s all about relaying ideas accurately with the intent of building a mutual understanding. When you practice healthy habits for talking, listening, and processing together, it’s for the good of your marriage and ultimately, for the glory of God.
If we are to have marriages that are healthy, enjoyable, and intentional, we must learn and apply wise principles to how we communicate. We must heed Solomon’s words in Proverbs 18:2:
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding but only in expressing his opinion.
Bad communication habits can stifle growth, inhibit intimacy, and create endless spouts of bickering, arguing, and division. However, healthy communication will fuel growth and intimacy and make your marriage resilient against otherwise devastating disagreements.
In today’s podcast, we discuss biblical themes for healthy communication, why we are called to point our spouses to the gospel through how we listen, and five tangible steps (habits) that lead us down the path toward healthier communication.
Mentioned in Today’s Show:
- Resource: 5 Indispensable Habits for Rock Solid Communication
- Learn more about Datebox and get your first month FREE.
- Learn more about The 31-Day Pursuit Challenge, our couple’s devotional.
- Ask any question, leave us a voicemail, or write a letter to your spouse!
Communication: Five Habits for Hearing and Being Heard
- Highs and Lows
- Dysfunction in marriage often manifests itself first through communication
- Two themes in scripture around communication:
- A call to wisdom: be slow to speak, fast to listen, fast to wait
- Intentional communication with the purpose of being understood and understanding others
- Communication corruptors create unintentional misunderstandings
- Five habits for healthier communication:
- Talk intentionally
- Listen intently
- Seek Understanding
- Act out of Love
- Rest in Your Covenant
- Couple’s Challenge (see below)
- Rapid Fire Q&A
- Read a letter from a wife to her husband
- Housekeeping and announcements
Today’s Couples Challenge:
- We won’t start heavy conversations after we’re both tired.
- We will always resolve hard conversations.
- We will not use hurtful language or namecalling when angry.
- We understand that it’s sometimes healthiest to step away from the situation to think and pray.
Please SUBSCRIBE, RATE, and REVIEW this podcast on your app of choice. It takes 30-60 seconds, and it helps get the word out about gospel-centered marriage. Thank you!
Do you have a question?
If you have a question, ask! During each episode, we encourage listeners to share their stories, ask questions, or write letters to their loved ones. Anything goes…
Click the appropriate button below! We’ll take care of the rest.
Leave us a voicemail
Call: (971) 333-1120
Note: by dialing the above phone number and leaving a voicemail, you are granting us permission to include your voice in our podcast.
Feel free to write any questions in the comments below. We just might do an episode on it. :)
This week’s episode is brought to you by DateBox
Get a 50% off your first DateBox!
DateBox is an incredible monthly box subscription where they curate, compile, and deliver customized, themed dates directly to your door. We’ve been with them for over a year and the boxes just get better and better! We’ve roasted coffee, enjoyed delicious fondue, made hand-crafted ice-cream (amazing), and so much more. Check them out and get your first DateBox for HALF the normal price!
(Also, they’re actual friends of ours who have been incredibly supportive of Fierce Marriage from day one. Show them some love. In doing so, you’ll be supporting us!)